Glimpse: A laundry tip for you...

Friday, August 1, 2014

A laundry tip for you...

With 5 of us in this house, it seems like laundry is a never-ending chore family contribution of mine. Other members of this family do laundry occasionally, and our oldest son is learning to do some spot cleaning, and start the washing machine on his own, but the bulk of this falls to me. I try to spot treat as I see spots, because they don't always come out in the wash... and it's always annoying to me when I find something that's gone unnoticed through the washer and dryer. Mostly, you can give up trying to get the stain out after the clothing has been through the dryer.

I've especially had bad luck with grease stains sneaking through. As I'm folding up the laundry, there's that darker coloured spot on the otherwise clean shirt. Grrr!

This week I tried an idea I found on Pinterest, thinking that if it didn't work, I wouldn't have lost anything except time, because the shirt with the grease spot was already basically unwearable, except for grubby work. The idea is NOT mine, but I did tweak it a bit to suit what I had available.


The original idea is here - Removing set in oil stains.

The basic idea is that you can "reactivate" the oil stain with fresh oil, and the author uses WD40. I don't have any of that (GASP!!). But I do have oil, so I rubbed the stain with coconut oil, let it sit a bit, then rubbed in the baking soda, let that sit, then washed it all out with Dawn dish soap. Not sure if it has to be Dawn, but it's what I have right now. I suppose really any good grease-removing soap would do - it's something to experiment with! Then I hung the shirt on the line to be sure the stain had come out. I actually did this on 2 different shirts this week, and the first one I had to repeat the process before the stain was completely gone. The 2nd shirt was good to go after the first round.

Sorry, I don't have before and after stunning pictures! You'll just have to trust me that it worked! (I thought of pictures after it was all done the first time, and didn't even think of it the second time)

I'm quite pleased with the results, and this will help save quite a few shirts around here. Of course, if I caught the grease/oil stains in the first place I could just use the dish soap and skip a few steps!

What's your favourite stain removal trick/tip? Maybe we could make a collection to help each other out!


7 comments:

Judy C said...

Going to have to give this a try next time I have one of those grease stains that doesn't want to go away, thanks for the tip! (Judy Cowan)

willowsprite said...

Thanks for the tip! I have had stains that I've tried all kinds of removers on, but sometimes nothing seems to work.

Laurie P said...

I will definitely try this out! Dawn, apparently is magic lol.

Soozle said...

Great idea! Thank you for sharing the tip!

Tara said...

i don't have any good tips... baby stains are horrible! i'm finding stain remover and regular detergents just don't do the trick. :/

Tara said...

This is a great trick, I always seem to have some stubborn stains that are so hard to get out!

Maggie Cheung said...

wow! GREAT trick. Did not know about this! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Affilliations

Sites we enjoy

Vote for us!

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Please rate us at The Mom Blogs

  © Template modified from Blogger template "Simple n' Sweet" by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP